Top 10 Ways to Get Kids to Eat Their Greens
Getting kids to eat healthily can be a challenge, so we've put together our favorite tips and tricks:
1. Mix veggies into their favorite meals. You can easily add veggies to a soup, hide some peas or corn in Mac and Cheese. Try out vegetarian recipes for spaghetti, lasagna, chili, or other foods using vegetables instead of meat.
2. Appearance is important. Changing the presentation can go a long way. Get Creative! Here are some of our favorite ways to make healthy look good.
3. Make it the fun portion of the meal. Studies have shown that when fruits and veggies are paired with a meal they like, say burgers or nuggets, school kids were more likely to leave their “healthy side” on their trays. When it was paired with something not as appealing, they ate both portions. Interesting, no?
4. Dip it up! Studies have shown that children are more likely to eat their veggies if they have something to dip them in.
5. Let them choose. Carrots or celery? When you give kids a choice of what they’re going to eat, they won’t object to it being on their plate.
6. Make them your Sous Chef. If they help prepare the meal, they will be more likely to eat it.
7. Offer them as snacks. Keep fruit washed, cut up, and in plain sight in the refrigerator. Here is a past blog post with healthy snack ideas and recipes.
8. Grow a garden together. They will get so excited watching their fruits and vegetables grow from a seed into a delicious meal!
9. Be a role model! Monkey see, monkey do. Eat more fruits and vegetables yourself, and inspire them.
10. Keep trying! Continue to introduce (and re-introduce) vegetables.
At Salad Station, healthy eating is fun and easy for kids! With over 100 toppings, there's something for even the pickiest of eaters.